Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The wide and bizzare world of drinking videos



Something that I've become oddly obsessed with lately is the strange world of drinking videos on Youtube.  Do a search for 'chug' and you will see what I'm talking about.  A lot of the videos are just bros doing beerbongs with their bros, or girls jumping up and down and having pillow fights.  That's all well and good. Have at it folks.

But I've also stumbled across a sub-genre of this sort of video that I find oddly amusing in a rubbernecking, car crash witness sort of way.  I like to call it the "Let's Drink" video. Do a search on YT for "40 oz crew" or "bruz40" and you'll see what I'm talking about.  These aren't videos of bros shotgunning Four Lokos at parties, these are singular dudes drinking beers and staring into the camera.  These videos remind me of the little Let's Play microcosm of gaming videos (another YT phenomenon that I find oddly compelling), except instead of old SNES games....they're getting wasted.  It is kind of like they are trying to bypass the fear that you might be an alcoholic if you drink alone, by using the web as their audience.  In a sense, we the viewer become his bros. 

Now, I'm not hating on the folks that make these videos.  There is a sort of implicit comradery amongst these dudes that I can't possibly understand; even a sort of collector geekery showcased by a common penchant for 40oz bottle collections and even a trade network for hard to find 40oz beers. What'chu know about this? Nothing, I guess.

I think that what I might be missing from the vantage point and cultural encapsulation of my craft beer obsession, is that there is a certain pride that many people take in their 40oz.  I mean, $2-3 gives you all the beer that you'll need for the night all in one neat little package.  I bet that a lot of these folk would laugh in my face if I told them the price of some of the beers that I've bought.  I hate to say it, but craft beer = privilege.

If I ever get access to a webcam, maybe I'll start posting a few "Let's Drink" videos of my own.  I guess I'm just jealous.

coming soon: an actual review!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment