Wednesday, August 25, 2010

First Review/ Horrid disappointment: Hale's Ales Kolsch, Bud Lite Golden Wheat and... some... Korean thing

Hale's Kolsch
Appearance- Straw-like golden yellow.  Can't quite see through it ( chill haze? wasn't filtered?),  Small head that dissipates quickly.
Smell- wet dog.  Salt water. almost a little bit of sweet corn.
Taste- nice malt backbone. Sweeter than most Kolsch that I have tried but not by much.  Bread like notes.  Brackish bitterness from the hops.
Mouthfeel- Real light and thin, nice carbonation. Proper.
Overall- I was actually pleasantly surprised by this beer.  The first time I tried it, I thought it was horrible.  Thus, I wanted to write about it on the blog. But I could easily drink a sixer of this on a hot day like today. Well done, Hale's.


Bud Light Golden Wheat
A- golden, cloudy, no head, fizzy
S- smells like oranges
T- It tastes like orange flavored water.  Kind of like orange Crystal Geyser or something.  There is nothing that resembles beer at all!  Just flavored low-alcohol water.  I can't even call this bad, it's so bland.  I guess if the point is to drink 30 of them, then this could be ok for your 16 year old cousin
M- water
O- This is a pathetic attempt to jump on the pseudo-Belgian Wit craze created by Blue Moon. The thing is that Anheuser Busch already has a Blue Moon clone, Shock Top, so this I don't know what the hell they are going for with this beer.  This might as well be Zima (man I wish that stuff was still around to go on my blog), it is just flavored garbage.  A waste of cereal grains.  Truly a malted massacre..

Bek Se Ju- Korean rice and corn wine with ginseng and other natural flavors
oh...my...god
jackpot, figuratively speaking. 
This stuff is absolutely, mindbogglingly horrendous.
The scent is that of ginseng root, bile, and ...*sniff sniff*... corroded pipes, maybe? The smell is revolting.
The taste is an improvement over the smell.  OH GOD!  THAT SMELL!! I come close to puking in my mouth a little every time that I take a whiff.
Anyway, the taste is rather lackluster, believe it or not.  Kind of tastes like those little tubes of ginseng tincture that you find at health food stores and Korean markets. But with more alcohol and less intense ginseng flavor. It somewhat resembles sake.  I get a bit of a honey-like backbone and I can taste the corn.
and then ginseng, bile, and more ginseng.
I am about to drink what is left in my cup in one big swig.  I wish that I had another Bud Light Golden Wheat to wash the taste out of my mouth.

Note to Korea: No offense, dude.  I just can't quite get the hang of Bek Se Ju.  Nothing personal.

Note to Bud Light Golden Wheat drinkers: I'm NOT sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment